Is it one of those days? You wake up and it’s not even light outside but a little face is standing three inches from you needing food. You step in something wet on the way to the kitchen, face last night’s dishes in the sink, and you’re still wearing yesterday’s shirt. I know from experience.
Some mornings are better than others. It’s tempting to give up and say you’ll deal with it all tomorrow.
If your morning gets off to a bad start, don’t give up just yet. There’s hope.
- Are you clean? Do you have time to get a shower? Did you brush your hair and teeth?
- Get dressed, all the way, like you’re going somewhere even if you’re not. Don’t lounge in your housepants.
- Did you eat something? Coffee or coke doesn’t count. You need breakfast even if you’ve conditioned your body to go without it. Eat a meal with some protein and carbs, like an egg and toast, or a smoothie with fruit and protein powder.
- Take care of yourself. Take your vitamins and drink a glass of water.
- Do one thing to make your house better: run the dishwasher, start a load of laundry, or make the bed.
- Read something inspirational. Read a few verses from the Bible or another book that is important to you.
- Speak kindly and smile at your family members. No need to spread the grump.
I know how mornings like this feel, and that’s how I know little reminders like these help you to start over.
(I’ve been focusing on eating breakfast every day, because I used to not feel like eating in the morning. What do you eat for breakfast?)