Past the Slump, a Theme Song Should Help

I’ve been in a slump lately, stuck in the middle of a transition that is taking far too long, and I’m not able to speed it up by my sheer will, just as my habit of checking email does not deliver awaited news into my inbox no matter how many times I hit refresh.

I lost momentum. I lost it somewhere between sad news, and illness, the oppressive heat, and all the hours I spent on the internet compulsively checking for new house listings.

I looked for a spark this week, the kind that gives you a burst of energy that can bring you back up, overcoming sadness or disappointment or impatience.

I found it. We got good news. I had a good idea, and even if things seem harder than they should be, I simply don’t have time to be down anymore.

I’m going to need a new theme song. It’s either a new theme song or a new hair cut, and the last time I cut a lot of hair I ended up looking like Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing which was not the look I was going for. So a new theme song it is. When I think about this part of the story later, it will be much better if it has a soundtrack.

What do you think would make a good theme song?

Comments

1. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough sung by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell – or sung by anyone else for that matter. It always lights a spark for me. Wishing you happiness and lots of encouraging moments.

2. Hands down ‘Believe it or not’ by Joey Scarbury, theme tune from the Greatest American Hero. Glad to hear things are looking up! P.S I love reading your blog xx

3. Oh no the dreaded slump! I think we all have them, especially after doing something great. I’m glad that you’re on your way back :)

My husband had Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas in his head for a recent interview…it worked, he got the job!
    Laura @ move to portugal´s last post…Book Reading in 2011

4. Jo Jeffree says:

‘Jump’ by Van Halen always gives me a good boost of energy when feeling in a slump and in need of a push to pick up and get going. Love reading your blog :-)

5. Van Morrisons Brown Eye’d Girl is a great uplifting one. Eventhough I have blue eyes its a winner for me!

Can I recommend doing a few yoga sun salutations? They get your energy going, change your focus and make your body feel alive. You can google Sun Salutations and see some on line.

Me too loves your blog!

• My sister always sings it “brown-eyed squirrel” :) Not by mistake, she’s 35 and just likes to bug me! I have to say, it does make me smile. In “Every Rose Has It’s Thorn” she also sings “every cowboy wears a bright red thong” instead of “sings the same old song”. Ha!

6. I have always loved “eye of the tiger.” It definitely gets me ready to do whatever I need to do. It worked for Rocky so excellent choice for a theme song, I think!
    Heather´s last post…the state of the garden

• Totally agree.
      Becs´s last post…Cypress Falls

• Heather W says:

Funny I was going to suggest the same song!!

“It’s the eye of the tiger, it’s the thrill of the fight,
      risin up to the challenge of our rival….”

Always gets me going out of a slump or funk!

7. Welcome back from the slump!

I am really liking Laura Story’s song Blessings, might make for a nice theme song.
    Tracey´s last post…Favor On Your Life

8. Slumps can be so energy-zapping. When I’m feeling lousy about life in general, I somehow always feel better when I listen to “Good Life” by One Republic. Here are some of the lyrics:

“Sometimes there’s airplanes I can’t jump out
    Sometimes there’s bullshit that don’t work now . . . but please tell me
    What there is to complaint about?

Oh, this has gotta be the good life
    This has gotta be the good life
    This could really be a good life, good life.”

Whenever i listen to it I am reminded of just how much is going well in my life (even on a really terrible horrible no-good very bad day).
    Nihara´s last post…In Defense of Overpacking

9. Well, having been in a bit of a slump myself, all I can tell you is that I’ve been walking around the house and even driving to and from work singing “This Is The Day {that the Lord has made}” at the top of my lungs to remind myself that no matter what happens, each and every day is a day that comes from the Lord – He created it, and He created me, and He has a plan for my life. I have to rest in that on some days or I’ll go nuts. It’s not a fancy song, it doesn’t have some great beat, but sometimes it’s the only reminder that will get me through. :-) Hope things continue to turn up for you as you readjust and move forward. Blessings!
    Carrie´s last post…One Small Step…

• Rebecca says:

This song also helps me. It reminds me that even though I have bad days there is a purpose for them and I need to turn to God to get through it.

• My mom always woke us up every morning by singing this song. It drove me crazy, but when I went away to college I found myself singing the lyrics to myself in my head every morning in the shower. It really did help me start the day off with an amazing attitude!
        Michelle´s last post…2 kids + 105 degrees =

10. Slumps. Bleh. Those are hard. Glad to hear you’re coming out of one. I think we just entered one.

“Here Comes the Sun”, by the Beatles?
    Katherine´s last post…A Ship Is Safe in Harbor…

• Patsy Emm says:

Yeah, yay, hooray. This is one of my old favorites, too. And if you want a durable sentimental inspirational song, how about “Climb Every Mountain” from The Sound of Music?

• Or how about “Oh Happy Day” from the soundtrack of “Secretariat” – it is soooo inspiring!

11. Shawn Johnson says:

Hi Rachel,
    Haven’t read enough of your website (Yet) to know how you feel about dogs, but here is a link to a song that has always lifted my spirits, motivated my ambitions, made me feel glad to be alive and most of all grateful to have a friend who never fails to bring me back home when it seems I’ve lost my way.

12. Tasmanian Minimalist says:

Or how about ‘ California ‘ by the lovely RufusWainwright… It always makes me leap and throw myself about !
    Tasmanian Minimalist´s last post…Seeing Things Differently..

13. Some songs that pick me up when I’m feeling down, not necessarily for lyrics but for melody: New Shoes by Paolo Nutini, Gotta Get Up From Here by Ellie Lawson and Ruby Blue by Roisin Murphy. Good luck getting out of your slump :)

14. My happy songs are “Firework” by Katy Perry, “Shine” by Rosi Golan, and “Beautiful Life” by Jenny Jordan Frogley. Those are ones I keep on my running playlist on my iPod and even if I don’t feel like getting out, they somehow seem to have the magic power to get my feet moving! :-) Good luck to you!
    KaseyQ´s last post…Back from my adventure! (aka, family vacation)

• I was going to suggest Firework as well, but I love the way Alex Goot does it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykzJYF0Q__U

I think we all get in a slump. I’ve picked Firework as mine new theme song. (I don’t want to cut my hair either!!) I’ve been teaching the music to my 14yo and we been doing piano duets, which makes it extra special. He loves it too. :)

15. Nicole W. says:

For your traveling family, I’ll throw out the Partridge Family’s “Come on Get Happy”

16. Gretchen says:

I would suggest “Charmed Life” by The Divine Comedy. It’s not a fast-paced motivational song by any means, but the lyrics are so heartfelt and true that listening to it always has the effect of reminding me how lucky in life I actually am. I hope the slump is far behind you soon!

17. “Beautiful Day” by U2 always gets me pumped!

18. When you first asked this, my mind was blank. Now songs keep coming left and right!
    One of my very favorites is Rob Thomas’ Someday http://youtu.be/H6pODq8_FxE
    I first heard it walking around in Kohls during a very bad time in my life, and I just started bawling! It is encouraging to me now though!
    For a foot tapping, heart pumping motivational song, I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas. I can’t help but sing along! (I love the youtube video of Oprah’s anniversary show when 1000s did a flashmob to this song!)
    Congrats on the good news! Things will be looking up!
    Bernice
    Living the Balanced Life´s last post…Taking care of me

19. So good to hear from you. I like to blast out “sunshine reggae”… gimme gimme just a little smile… as I take baby steps forward – I am all about low expectations in a slump!!! Sorry things aren’t going great, it is so horrid to be there… sending more than a little love.
    se7en´s last post…Se7en’s Celebrities: Anna from Lilla A…

20. Sandra Gonzales says:

“Celebrate Good Times” by Cool and the Gang

21. There’s a cute little song out there that I love, I don’t know the singer…this is it..
    I just wanna be ok, I just wanna be ok today.
    enjoy your day.
    glenda
    glenda´s last post…" Baby, it’s hot outside"

22. I love to Listen to “Human” by the Killers over and and over. You can also dance around the house to it!

23. It is nice to have you back! I have missed your postings.

My suggestion: Coming Out Of The Dark by Gloria Estefan

Cindy

24. Rita Springer, “I Have to Believe.” It’s got soul and it touches the soul!

25. Lately I’ve had a album on repeat. The band is He is We and the song you should listen to is called “And Run.” It is so upbeat and makes me feel like I can take on the world.

Good luck with everything! And I’m so glad you are getting through this. I find lately that I only admire people who have overcome hard things; they don’t understand when they tell me things that make them feel ashamed and I just beam at them and admire them more.

I think we as a society have spent so much time focusing on trying to be like people who have never had a trouble in life, when we need to be looking to the people who know what it is to hurt and choose to smile anyway.
    Jennie´s last post…In Medias Res

• I think everybody knows some trouble or other. But wearing an “I have it all together” mask is not healthy. Not for themselves or for the people who buy into the pretense.

I love what you said SO much better “…know the hurt and choose to smile anyway”. Acknowledge it, grow and learn from it, then choose happiness. You’re so right, that’s what a role-model should look like!
      Stephanie´s last post…Cocoa Kisses Melt In Your Mouth

26. Marianna says:

Well, I’m gonna go all 80′s on you and suggest Elton John’s “I’m Still Standing”.

“Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid”

Blessings
    Marianna

27. I’ll second U2′s “Beautiful Day” but also “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for” is a great release for me when I’m feeling frustrated and just need to belt it out while driving around (can’t imagine what that looks like for other drivers…)

28. I recommend ‘Welcome to Wherever You Are’ by Bon Jovi. The chorus in particular.

Came on my ipod during walk a few days ago and really spoke to me…helped with the frustration on still working to achieve my dream.

29. It’s a Great Day to Be Alive by Randy Travis!

Or maybe Hakuna Matata? :)
    Jessicah´s last post…family pictures

30. Margaret says:

I’ve been listening to Selah’s “Greatest Hymns” lately, and I want to share it with everyone I know. It’s just so deeply beautiful.

I especially love track 11, Part the Waters/ I Need Thee Every Hour, and track 12, Precious Lord, Take My Hand/ Just A Closer Walk With Thee.

31. Elizabeth says:

“Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey.

32. I’ll try to keep myself to just a few. Mumford & Sons “Awake My Soul” or “Roll Away the Stone”, Sufjan Stevens “Holy, Holy, Holy”,
    Keane “Everybody’s Changing”, Joe Purdy,any song, any time!
    Let the tunes roll….For me it’s especially great if the kids are out with DAd and I can blast them. Brings me back to highschool though. Maybe not so great.

33. Florence and the Machine:
    The Dog Days are Over

Every time I hear it, my heart skips a beat and I can’t help myself from dancing and clapping the catchy beat.

Blessings and Happiness to you!
    Stacy Orndorff´s last post…Future Thrifter of America {Thrift & Rummage Finds}

34. When I worked at a job I hated about 10 years ago, I had to psych myself up to go in with rap music. There I was driving down the street jamming to “Damn it feels good to be a gangsta”. Pretty funny!
    Eliza´s last post…The Great Apron Project Begins

35. My votes would be “Its My Life” by Bon Jovi (for the moments when you need an outlet to roar) or “One Step At a Time” by Jordin Sparks (for the quieter, more contemplative moments).
    Helen´s last post…Super Natural Lunch Break

36. Running down a dream – Tom Petty

37. My theme song is Savage Garden’s “Affirmation” — I even recorded a special version as my cell phone ring tone. I’m happy to share it with you. :D
    Lissa´s last post…Tae Kwon Joy

38. Unwritten is really inspiring, but if you’re looking for peppy and goofy, My Sharona works for me every time.
    caroline starr rose´s last post…Kind Words from Beth Kephart

• I love Unwritten. I sing it at the top of my lungs whenever I hear it! Our lives are full of so much potential! It is just waiting to be written!
      Living the Balanced Life´s last post…Using routines to become more productive

• Was also just about to suggest “Unwritten” always inspires me and fills me back up! Then I read through the comments and realised someone else had suggested this and want to third this!! Definitely recommend it, great song! Hope you are out of this slump and look forward to next blog :)

39. These are all great songs-the only thing that popped into my head (and now won’t get out) is the theme song for Laverne & Shirley.
    Whatever.

40. Toad that Wet Sprocket
    “Eyes Open Wide”
    or
    “Throw it all Away”

41. Don’t laugh at this unless you’ve heard the Los Lobos version. Zippity Do Dah.

42. I absolutely love your blog, and feel as though you and I are living through some very similar circumstances these days! Our family is moving back to Texas after 10 years away (today I requested road-trip music suggestions on my blog), we are house-hunting, and I was just considering a new haircut this very morning. Songs that always perk me up are “Blessed” by Brett Dennen, “No Bad News” by Patty Griffin, and “Salvation Song” by the Avett Brothers. Best of luck to you and your family!

43. I love all of the above suggestions. Here are two of mine: “I’m So Excited” by the Pointer Sisters (how can you not get pumped up with that one!) and from a totally different genre, “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning” from Oklahoma! I don’t live in Oklahoma, but I am surrounded by meadows and cornfields, so I can relate. I find myself singing it in the shower many days (some mornings I already feel it, and some mornings I’m trying to get the feeling!) Which now makes me think of Barry Manilow’s “Trying to Get the Feeling”.

44. I’m sure this doesn’t actually fir with the situation but these songs always gets me pumped up: Since You’ve Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson and Livin’ on a Prayer by Bon Jovi.

They’re the perfect, I’m gonna jump around the room, sing to a hairbrush, and point emphatically in the direction of the wall and not give a d*mn about what anyone says kind of songs. :)

L
    adventuresofoldandnew.blogspot.com
    Leslie´s last post…If my kitchens looked like this, I’d cook more often

45. I gotta go with “I’m Still Standing”. It’s upbeat and seems appropriate enough!
    Jenn the Pen´s last post…Beach Trip Notes

46. I love this post.

Theme song.
    There’s “The Dog Days are Over” by Florence + the Machine.

Or how about “The Golden Age” by The Asteroids Galaxy Tour?
    jill´s last post…The Better Part

47. Carrie Gaines says:

“Stuck in a Moment” U2.

48. I’ve been singing “I Need a Dollar” by Aloe Blaac all week. It’s kinda true of our financial state, but mostly it’s just an awesome song that makes me smile! It’s gotten me out of my post-vacation slump! :)

49. What about Dolly Parton’s “Better Get to Livin’?”

Transitions are challenging. I’m glad you’re in a better mental and spiritual place today.

50. “Strip Me” by Natasha Bedingfield. Applies to my life everyday.

51. Speaking of Eye of the Tiger… this totally cracks me up EVERY TIME. I’m a big Supernatural fan so, maybe it’s just me… but he’s super cute so it’s worthwhile either way … enjoy!

Lisa Medley´s last post…Endings and Beginnings

52. No song suggestions…that’s not my forte, but I am so glad to hear you have turned the corner. :-)

53. My pick-me-up is the Legally Blond soundtrack, particularly “Watch me shine” and “One girl revolution.” Speaking of … I think I’m going to go turn it on right now.

54. Don’t laugh but Busta Rhymes’ song “Don’t touch me now” really works as an anthem. I love the chorus which goes Don’t touch me now, you might burn yourself”!

55. “Don’t Stop” by Fleetwood Mac. A great song and lyrics for getting on with the future.

56. My two new favorite songs are “Blink” and “Something Glorious” both by Revive on their Blink album.

Of course my old stand-by is Rollin’ by Limp Bizkit.

And yes, I am aware of how exceptionally different (from each other) my suggestions are :)
    Jennifer@A Blog of My Very Own!´s last post…Seeing the Lord in everything…

57. LaPriel says:

Bryan Adams Here I am

Here I am – this is me
    I come into this world so wild and free
    Here I am – so young and strong
    Right here in the place where I belong

It’s a new world – it’s a new start
    It’s alive with the beating of young hearts
    It’s a new day – in a new land
    And it’s waiting for me
    Here I am

58. Hmm, I’m thinking maybe you did not actually mean an actual song title, but a theme for your blog? A fresh concept on which to build your posts rather than simple home and fewer storage containers? Maybe as your kids are getting older and you have transitioned back to this culture, values are different, energies have shifted, and you are looking for a new purpose? My suggestion would be to keep writing, keep posting, and clarity will come. And, keep singing.
    MAUREEN´s last post…The One That Got Away

59. I recently discovered the music of Brooke Fraser; her C.S. Lewis song reminds me that these “momentary light afflictions” are just temporary, and “mercy comes with the morning”, indeed. It may encourage you…..

• I also second the Brooke Fraser songs, I love her albums, listened to them for weeks when I first downloaded them from itunes! So many great ideas for theme songs, definitely Paolo Nutini in there somewhere too.

60. “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire
    “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” by Stevie Wonder

Glad you’re over the slump! Lots of people around here appreciate you.

61. Rachel, there’s just got to be something Italian that will kick it for you! How about singing “VOLARE” at the top of your lungs?

62. I have been in a slump too! Don’t want to cook, blog, clean, go anywhere, do anything. We have been waiting for news too and are getting overwhelmed by the uncertainty of the future.

I normally don’t like Lady Gaga but her new song On the Edge of Glory has been stuck in my head for weeks. I have been feeling like I am teetering on the edge, but that there is good coming. I guess its appropriate.
    Melissa´s last post…BBQ Summer – Photo Friday

63. As soon as I finished reading your post, this song popped into my head. http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/byebyebirdie/putonahappyface.htm

Gray skies are gonna clear up,
    Put on a happy face;
    Brush off the clouds and cheer up,
    Put on a happy face.
    Take off the gloomy mask of tragedy,
    It’s not your style;
    You’ll look so good that you’ll be glad
    Ya’ decide to smile!

64. My first “theme song” and always in the rotation if I’m feeling like you are… Walking On Sunshine by Katrina & The Waves.
    Stephanie´s last post…Cocoa Kisses Melt In Your Mouth

65. I love the song “Defying Gravity” from the musical, Wicked. Wow, that song really makes me feel empowered. Here are some of the lyrics:

Something has changed within me
    Something is not the same
    I’m through with playing by the rules
    Of someone else’s game
    Too late for second-guessing
    Too late to go back to sleep
    It’s time to trust my instincts
    Close my eyes: and leap!

It’s time to try
    Defying gravity
    I think I’ll try
    Defying gravity
    And you can’t pull me down!

66. Denise C. says:

Whenever I get into a slump, I listen to something by Weird Al Yankovic, a friend recommended him, and it always puts a smile on my face. :). I have a few others, I just need to look them up on my iTunes list.

67. I have a playlist on my iPod called “Break Free” and starts off with Queen’s “I Want to Break Free,” and continues with Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It” and a bunch of other songs that change periodically. For whatever reason those two songs seem to jumpstart my brain if I need it…

68. Stephanie says:

My personal favorite for slump-days is the beginning of the theme song for the Mary Tyler Moore show. Belting out “Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?” at the top of your lungs with a lot of expression can be quite therapeutic :D And it entertains the kids!

69. Oh oh oh , I just thought of another one……If everyone cared by Nickelback. I always find it makes me want to save the world, do my best for humanity and make a Ghandiesque effort towards saving lives !
    Tasmanian Minimalist´s last post…Seeing Things Differently..

70. This is a more mellow pick than the previous suggestions, but I think it’s really appropriate for you and Doug as you walk through this transition: Patty Griffin’s When It Don’t Come Easy. Gah. LOVE that song. Maybe because it was my own theme song after we left coaching and moved to this small town and felt so lost and lonely, but crazy enough to be hopeful.
    Megan at SortaCrunchy´s last post…Sleep Deprivation is No Joke

71. dramamama says:

For a fun, lighthearted pick-me-up, how about Francesca Battistelli’s “This is the Stuff”? Or for something a little more weighty, “Everything Glorious” by David Crowder Band.
    Love reading your blog – blessings!

72. You’ve come to the right place! I think in music. Sara Groves is one of my all time favorites and through the years her songs have served as many a theme song for the seasons I have gone through! I think a perfect one would be “Less Like Scars.” Also there is “Add to the Beauty.” these first two are a little more peppy, or if you want mellow theme song “Remember Surrender” is a GREAT one. Brook Fraser “Shadow Feet” another winner. Carrie Underwood “so small” I’ll stop before I overwhelm you.

73. “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor or Cake … I think ABBA has a version too.

74. “The only way is UP baybeee” alternatively if you’re feeling really down and need something to laugh at, Monty Python’s “Always Lokk on the Bright side of Life”,with lyrics like, “Life’s a piece of shit, when you look at it…etc…always look on the bright side of life”. Good Luck!

75. “The Ballroom Blitz” by The Sweet – gets me cranked up every time!

If you aren’t familiar with it and want to check it out, I’d strongly suggest listening – not watching – the first time. Then for a totally different experience, play it again and this time watch it.

I never saw the video until just now, and it took me a half an hour to get my self picked up off the floor, I was laughing so hard!!

76. Kind of depends on what type of music gets to you, I suppose.
    ‘Everything’ by Lighthouse : ‘Show me what I’m looking for’ by Carolina Liar : ‘Dead Man (carry me)’ by Jars of Clay ::: these are great to rock out to, and remind you who’s really in charge. Oh, and Amazing Grace, by Dropkick Murphys. Yes, it’s amazing.
    I tend to switch it up from day to day, depending on my type of mood and focus. sometimes it’s hymns, sometimes Irish medleys. One day it’s Michael Buble’s croons (a totally different song, but his ‘Everything’ is great), the next it’s punk rock. A lot of times the beautiful parts of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack are what move me for the work I need to get done.

I am loving your blog, it’s feeding me with the most wonderful ideas and new revelations of home. Thank you so much for sharing with us all, in good times and in bad.

::Blessings

77. This thread of comments is awesome! I love to share uplifting, encouraging and meaningful music videos on my facebook page. I now have a LONG list of resources to last me more than a few weeks! I love how music has a way of moving us at our core!
    Welcome back Rachel!
    Living the Balanced Life´s last post…THE best organizational tool

78. “I Feel It All” by Feist. One of the great lyrics in it is:

I know more than I knew before.
    I didn’t rest; I didn’t stop

Sounds appropriate for you now.
    Meghan´s last post…Homemade Microwave Popcorn

79. You know what, “Believe It Or Not” was the first one to pop into my head, too!
    Aimee´s last post…Photo Essay: Killing Time

80. I’m not a fan of country music at all but when I’m going through a tough time, LeeAnn Womack’s song “I Hope You Dance” always brings tears to my eyes (good tears) and gets me through. The message is so beautiful. Love your blog and all the comments, really inspires me!

81. Amy Grant’s Breath of Heaven is my song for when I’m having those, “Am I a Good Mom?” doubts.

Do you wonder as you watch my face
    If a wiser one, should have had my place?
    But I offer all I am
    For the mercy of your plan
    Help me be strong, help me be, help me

82. As for theme song, “Use the force” by Jamiroquai should suffice. If one is in need of a suitable lifehack soundtrack, however, I’d highly recommend beginning a Kate Rusby addiction.

…Lastly, one should probably (overlook its liberal flaws and) go rent Chocolat on DVD. The available soundtrack to this movie is marvelous, as is the soundtrack to Amelie.

83. I almost forgot…”Lose Yourself” by Eminem is one that always gets me going (the censored version is milder & kinder).

84. “The Middle” by Jimmy Eat World (“It just takes some time, little girl you’re in the middle of the ride, everything everything will be just fine, everything everything will be all right, all right…”)

85. You’ve got to look up Peter Griffin’s “Theme Song” from Family Guy. He had his own one made for one episode…and it is the perfect theme song. (And the video is kind of funny, too.)

86. Leighanne says:

I just decided this weekend that my summer theme is Tom Petty’s, “I Won’t Back Down.” Last summer we listened to The National a lot and decided that this summer must be more up beat! Glad you are feeling better!

87. Kayne west – stronger
    Jessica´s last post…30 Weeks Pregnant, 10 to go to Term

88. Kathryn says:

Better Days. I like Dar Williams’ version.

“Here’s wishing you the bluest sky
    And hoping something better comes tomorrow
    Hoping all the verses rhyme,
    And the very best of choruses to
    Follow all the doubt and sadness
    I know that better things are on their way.”

89. Into Yesterday by Sugar Ray off of the Surf’s Up soundtrack. My go to song when I need to let go of mistakes, focus on possibilites, and get things done all at once. There have been many 3 am cake decorating sessions where that song continuously loops.

90. “Don’t Stop Believen” – Journey
    Rhonda´s last post…New Kids, Site Maintenance, and Other Stuff

91. Can’t believe no one has said this yet, but the theme to Rocky!!! Gonna fly now! But it’s the horns at the beginning that always get me. Best of luck!
    Catherine´s last post…Me time, full circle

92. “Georgy Girl” by The Seekers did it for me once:

“Hey there, Georgy Girl,
    There’s another Georgy deep inside!
    Bring out all the love you hide
    And oh what a change there’d be!
    The world would see
    A new Georgy Girl!”
    Jennifer´s last post…Ten Things: Four

93. “i can see clearly now” makes me smile everytime. and Israel Kamakawiwo’ole “Somewhere Over The Rainbow”. it has been used as the happy ending song in so many movies it just feels happy to me.
    and the new snow patrol song “called out in the dark” works to shake my bom bom (oh, ricky martin is such a guilty pleasure, living la vida loca could make you laugh as well ;)
    enjoy!

94. Elizabeth Sue says:

Call me a hillbilly, but Jason Aldean’s “Dirt Road Anthem” is my new theme song!

95. Any song from the 60′s makes me smile. The slower the better.

Hope you are able to snap out of your slump. I look forward to your weekly posting.
    don_mae´s last post…Fruit Of My Labor

96. I’d like to suggest Andrew Peterson’s Dancing in the Minefields.

“Because we bear the light of the Son of Man
    So there’s nothing left to fear.”

Lovely video, too, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gs3fg_WsEg&ob=av2e

97. “Brand New Day” by Joshua Radin! Love this song, never fails to pick me up!

It’s a brand new day
    The sun is shining
    It’s a brand new day
    For the first time in such a long long time
    I know, I’ll be ok

98. Bruce Springsteen “the rising”

99. My theme song is Sara Groves’ Just Showed Up.

“And I just showed up for my own life
    And I’m standing here taking it in and it sure looks bright.”
    Kristy´s last post…what it looks like to give out of your need.

100. My happy songs are Beauty in the World and Magic by Rabbit! (myspace.com/saverabbit)
    Hope you enjoy them and things start looking up.

101. I just had to say thanks for this awesome comment thread – I just read them all, and am going to get a bunch of these from itunes for my very own “inspirational” playlist. Love it!

102. Thanks for your post! I have enjoyed reading the songs your readers suggested too. I like the Earth Wind & Fire – September suggestion. Maybe thats just what I need to, as I have been in a slump of my own setting up a home in a new place. Glad things are looking up for you & that you are over your slump. Music is a great idea!
    Marianne´s last post…Dispelling the Myth – Lost in Translation

103. how about “under the bridge” by red hot chili pepeprs?
    Larissa´s last post…Hair removal methods

104. Someone already said this, but I’m going to second “Stuck in a Moment” by U2. Maybe because it really spoke to me at a time when I needed it. I had moved to Mexico to teach and live with my fiance but I was feeling out of sorts. I was still listening to cds back then instead of downloading songs and using an ipod! This song helped me know, “This is just a funk, it will pass!”

105. Great suggestions! I would like to add the happy little diddy “And the Birds Sing” by Tyrone Wells.

“Lights” by Ellie Goulding makes me feel like a superhero.

106. If your life was a movie, I believe this could be an “I’m Coming Out” by Diana Ross–montage moment. (It seems all movies about women overcoming some kind of slump/adversity, etc. have this montage.) Your mileage with song may vary. ;)

107. I kind of feel like The Beatles have positive words of wisdom for just about everyone.

108. Margie Smallman says:

I’m new here! Had to jump in and say a huge “I’m with ya sister”!!! I’m slumpin’ it too and hate it!! The BEST song to get me going is “Shackles” by MaryMary. Play it good and loud!

109. Here’s mine. I will share it with you! :-)

110. Cheyenne says:

“Float On” by Modest Mouse and The Vitamin String Quartet’s cover of Switchfoot’s song “Dare You to Move” became my “it’s all gonna be okay” theme songs while my little brother was in Afghanistan. They stuck :)

111. Glad to hear you are coming out of the slump! Light, no matter how far away it seems, can keep you going. Two songs that lift me out of myself are: “Go Light Your World” and “Untitled Hymn (Come To Jesus)” both by Chris Rice. Praying. God bless you!

112. I got through a major slump (probably depression, actually) with Desiree’s “Gotta be.” I still find the lyrics inspiring.

My silly happy songs that always cheer me are “Spending the Day in the Shirt you Wore” by poi dog pondering, “Good Day” by Luce and Paolo Nutine’s “New Shoes” which was mentioned above.

113. “Why Worry” by the Dire Straits.

also, “Sweet Lorraine” covered by Patty Griffin.

Both have been theme songs for me at different points. Also hymns – I could go on and on with hymns.

I love this post. How clever of you to point your slump in a new direction and take charge in a mature way. It’s been a long 2 years for my family since my husband was laid off. I’ve fought off slumps and depressions. Not always sure how. I’m hoping for you that things work out. . .
    Margo´s last post…Beyond Cream Cheese

114. thursday says:

I’m amused by the list of theme songs here. I dislike a good number of them, in fact, which reminds me how personal music is…

..but I was laughing at your hair cut comment. Last time I got a hair cut (and I tend to go YEARS between cuts) I ended up looking like Ally Sheedy in the early 1980s. And it was not the 1980s.

115. To get my youngest up and moving with a smile, I used to put on Jerry Lee Lewis’ Great Balls of Fire! That’ll get you moving.

But my first thought for a theme song was something just as vintage but a different flavor. Something like Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass’ A Taste of Honey.

But for a real theme song, you gotta go with the master of all theme songs, Henry Mancini. How about Baby Elephant Walk? That’s a happy song!
    Karen @ A Glimpse Into My Reveries´s last post…Morning in the Methow Valley

116. I do not have a theme song or anything but I wanted to shout out a “HI” to you and tell you that I miss reading your blog. I have probably visited it ~40 times in last week even though I have a subscription to it.

I am wishing that things are working out for you and you are in my thoughts.

117. Soundtrack to FAME?
    angelvalerie´s last post…starting over…

118. Stronger by Mandisa! This song totally gets me through in the tough times :)
    Sarah Silvester´s last post…Stuff that is inspiring me at the moment