The No Spend Month: the Halfway Point

It started with onions. I put an onion into every batch of soup I cook, cooking it patiently on low heat in olive oil or butter so that the onion slices caramelize and turn sweet, and my kitchen smells like a Mexican restaurant when they bring out the fajitas and everyone turns and looks with order envy.

But this Monday the soup was different because the onion had no scent. “Do you think this is weird?” I asked Doug, “I can’t smell this onion, can you?” Then I tasted it, but the onion had no flavor either, so then I was mad that we bought the cheap onions from the store where I usually hesitate to buy the produce. What kind of freak onion has no scent and no flavor? Then I had to eat the soup anyway because it’s No Spend Month, and I couldn’t afford to throw out four day’s worth of lunches.

I thought No Spend Month was going to be easy this year, with this being our fourth and all. We already know everything to do. Same song, second verse… Stay home, limit driving, scrambled eggs and baked potatoes. Popcorn on the stove and home projects.

It wasn’t going to be as hard because we don’t go out to eat anymore, anyway. Maybe Chipotle sometimes, but any other place is rare. We used to go out to eat a lot when the baby was in a carrier and it was more fun to go out than stay at home. Going out to eat was what we struggled to give up during the first No Spend Month, but that was before the celiac diagnosis that makes me terrified of bread crumbs and the cross contamination that could send my sweet girl to the hospital. It’s too much of a risk to go out to eat as a family, but also I’m more picky, and most meals don’t seem worth the $12. That’s why I can’t order pasta in Italian restaurants. Nine dollars for a bowl of noodles boiled in water? Seriously? I’ll get something I can’t make for myself at home.

I even planned for the phases I always go through during No Spend Month: each week with varying degrees of determination mixed with desperation, but what I wasn’t expecting was how much this month I would feel just plain annoyed. Annoyed at the onions. Annoyed at how I can’t get a haircut, and it’s already been seven months. Annoyed at how I can’t go to Panera and how long it takes to cook food from scratch and why can’t we just get to eat sandwiches like normal people do. My rants of ridiculousness usually end about cheese toast or sandwiches, and that’s when Doug mercifully gets me a baguette and sopressata at Central Market so I can eat it guiltily, but at least I don’t feel hungry anymore. I hate eating food they can’t have too.

There was also the time a couple of nights ago that I couldn’t help myself but to look at an online July sale, so I convinced myself it was to find “Christmas presents” because gifts for others don’t count as personal shopping. I didn’t buy anything though.

Anyway, I’m noticing a lack of margin in my life that is more clear as the fallback cushion gets taken away. It takes planning to eat at home every time. I need margin to feel patient instead of annoyed when I can’t structure and control the day for efficiency. So much this month feels inconvenient. I think it’s supposed to.

Total spent so far this month: $224 for food and gas from a $400 total budget for the month, but we won’t need to shop for food for several days, and we’re almost halfway done.

Comments

1. Christy says:

I am feeling it, sister! This is a “No Spend Month” for us and while we don’t go out to eat (4 small children) and my husband is working too many hours to go camping—I am annoyed. Annoyed that I REALLY want sushi and that even though I have plenty in the pantry/fridge, I still just want to get out!! But, God has a different plan…we have all gotten sick and are still in PJs most days–nothing like “keepin’ it real.”
    Keep the faith. This will pass. I am so thankful for your blog. You are inspiring many…don’t be disheartened!

2. Just remember however tough it is, you are also inspiring others. Visited my daughter yesterday and would normally treat everyone to a meal out. Instead made lunch in her kitchen and finished it off with homemade chocolate cake and strawberries at an1/8 of the cost. So a big thank you to you.

3. Wendy Briscoe says:

I’m thinking about starting a No Spend Month soon. How do you prepare for your first ever No Spend Month? Do you stock up on things before the month begins? (We are having to do a no spend week this week).

Just recently, cleared a ton of things around the house, and have items that we don’t need anymore or son has out grown his clothes etc. What is the best way to handle items you don’t need? Yard sale, consignment sale, or Good Will?

4. I totally get being impatient and frustrated with cooking – all the time. Keeping our loved ones healthy is not for the faint of heart. Hang in there friend!

Also, what you say about efficiency really strikes home. What I find most challenging about transition times (which is what I am currently living instead of no spend month) is the loss of efficiency in what I do. I’m a professional homemaker and when that space is in upheaval due to moving and renos, etc. I loss my professional edge. And it bothers me.

Anyway, happy Sunday morning – when I’m writing this comment. And… you’re halfway there!
    renee @ FIMBY´s last post…The View Around Here ~ The Week in Photos

5. Meagan S says:

I couldn’t even imagine doing something like this! My only thrifty thing I’ve ever done is that I am an avid garage sale-r (got most of my baby’s things from garage sales). Now I’m trying to lower our grocery shopping costs and am astounded by how much time it is taking!

6. Suzanne says:

I’m sorry it’s harder than you expected this month. I really appreciate your candid reflection, though, because I think I assumed that a No Spend month would naturally only get easier with experience. Thank you for sharing.

7. This post was so real to me. Like I was writing the words. When I feel deprived, I get annoyed. Really annoyed. What a great lesson, though. I’m only doing this for a short month. I can only imagine the feeling for people who have to do it their entire lives.

Thanks for this post, Rachel. It put everything into perspective.
    Sharon´s last post…First week of No Spend Results

8. Thank you so much for your honesty in this post, Rachel. So often I read blog posts from writers with much more self control than I have, and I feel so guilty about how much I complain when cutting back. So many frugal writers make it sound so easy and “fun”! But anyone who has done it knows that it’s often not. We all feel this way sometimes. I can’t imagine adding the extra layer of frustration that comes from your family’s dietary restrictions.

As far as the money part goes, it helps me to remind myself that I’m doing this by choice. I’ve been through times in my life (as we all have) when money was tight because it had to be. I had those same feelings of deprivation, but it felt worse somehow knowing that this was the way it had to be because we didn’t have enough money. When I feel this way about my frugal choices now, it helps to know I’m in control, and I’m doing it because I want to and because it’s worth it.

You’re halfway there! You’re an inspiration to us all. Hang in there!
    Karen´s last post…Staying cool without air conditioning

9. Thank you for writing this post! We chose a “No Spend Month” while my husband changes his work. It’s difficult when friends ask to hang out and I can’t host them for dinner or meet them out for dinner. I have had play dates at my home with a simple lunch and dessert made from what I had on hand. Also, following food trucks that I love on Twitter can be really annoying. Bums me out when I can’t get their delicious food.
    Amanda´s last post…Book Review: The Art of Non-Conformity by Chris Guillebeau

10. While we don’t eat out (my youngest is allergic to wheat, soy, corn, and food dyes and everything from restaurants comes off the back of a Sysco truck anyway), we’ve had to do some cost-cutting around here. At first, I was monumentally resentful, but then I embraced it. It’s really helped me prioritize my needs and wants.

Cheers!

11. Melissa Q says:

God bless you for being human! Phew!

12. You’re halfway there! And I guess I am too. I have used a bit over half of my budget too, but I think I’ll be okay money-wise for the rest of the month. Meal-planning has made all the difference for me, because now I have no excuse not to cook (because I know I have all the ingredients in my pantry/fridge). I’m also very happy it’s indeed in July I’m doing this, since at this time of the year fresh, green things are so much cheaper than in winter. And I also have more time in my hands to cook and so on.
    Missing out on all those summer sales has been really hard too, until I remember that I really don’t NEED anything, I have plenty of stuff to keep me occupied at home. My mother wanted to buy me a couple of new shirts at a sale, and I couldn’t say no. Now there’s even less need for me to go spending my money. But it’s not always that easy to say no, when you really, really want to do/buy something.

13. I’m not doing no spend month, but I did have to go gluten-free earlier this year. Yeah, it’s hard–and it’s the extra planning that’s bugging me more than the different food. The lack of convenience. We do like to eat out–but my family’s getting kind of sick of Mexican (one of the few kinds of restaurants I can feel easy/safe in eating at). We went way over budget (stupidly) early this month because we were deep in home renovation projects and eating out too much because I just didn’t want to spend the time that eating thoughtfully takes. Yes, I know there’s value in the feelings–but I sure don’t enjoy them! Glad to know I’m not alone in them.
    Rita@thissortaoldlife.com´s last post…Make your own DIY Solar ChandelierCheck out Kat’s awesome gazebo lights–curbside & craigslist treasure!

14. Don’t be discouraged. You are half way there. You know that you can do it. You have done it in the past and you will continue to have a no spend month. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us. I think we all can learn how to start our own No Spend Month. Being single, I need to every lesson on saving money
    Stephanie´s last post…Thank You Mom

15. I’m going to have to look into the “No Spend Month” and seriously consider giving it a go. It sounds like a real exercise and the lessons learned would probably go a long way to helping me out during the rest of the year.

How do you decide when you will take your no spend month? Do you pick a month when you already expect your expenses to be low?
    Heidi @Adventures of a Thrifty Mom´s last post…The Verdict

16. I really needed this! Eating out is by far the hardest thing for us to stop doing. We love the convenience: no cooking, no clean-up, just being able to sit back and talk while someone else brings us our food.

But I think I need to stop associating eating out with comfort. Comfort should come from warm pajamas and hugs, not paying other people to do your work for you.
    Jennie´s last post…Putting Temporary Pleasures Aside

17. Do you think food prices have gone up a bit since last year? Is it harder to eat on $400 with children that are a bit older and maybe eat a bit more? Interested to know.
    Hang in there! You’re such an inspiration. We’re not doing a no spend month but doing a spend less summer. We’re trying to live on a bit less both to save more and to teach ourselves how to have fun without spending.
    Thanks, as always, for your inspiration and honesty. :)
    Rachel´s last post…Advice on Creating a Well Loved and Well Used Toy Collection

18. did you have vidalia onions, by chance? They are really mild and good in salad but not much flavor for cooking.

I so relate to your frustration. We mostly eat at home, husbands high blood pressure does not stay in check with all the salt in prepared foods. It takes so much planning though.
    and sometimes it seems that as soon as you finish cleaning up one meal, it is time to start working on the next.
    I keep cooking from scratch because if I want to keep my husband and myself healthy, it is the only option.
    Rhonda´s last post…Possibly the cutest brother shirts ever

19. Gretchen says:

Thank you so much for this. I had a complete breakdown this afternoon. We are doing No Spend Month (two people, $200), trying to find a church that will both welcome us and feed our spirits, and I am on a tough rotation in medical school. We are doing really well on not eating out, meal planning across two households, and biking everywhere to save on gas. But I’m hitting the wall. Like you, I feel annoyed when I feel deprived. As students, our budgets are already thin and cutting closer to the bone is just aggravating. Especially in the summer when all I want to eat is produce and grilled meat. I’m out of flour, sugar, vanilla, and low on cat litter and concealer. Most of my work clothes need to go to the dry cleaner and there are non-critical but valid purchases I’ve been putting off for months (bathroom storage, summer quilt, slipcover for the sofa). All this to say that this process is MUCH harder than I thought it would be. But this post made me feel much less alone. Thank you.

I’ll keep pushing on. It is helping to focus me on the important things and to realize that I have been trying to fill the space in my heart with things and not God. Our treasure is not here on this earth and will not pass away. Alleluia.

20. Thanks for being honest. I know how annoying it can be because I have had many NO SPEND months since the start of the Great Recession. Some things that have helped:
    1) Batch cooking – This allows me to have several nights off from all-out cooking. My family also likes leftovers when I change the dish up a bit.
    2) Fridge googling – The other day I made a delicious salad with black beans, cucumber, and onions as the main ingredients. Who knew you could put those three together!?!
    3) Having potlucks with friends – My family might be tired of an inexpensive dish we frequently eat, but others will love it. My family will also enjoy eating the foods that my friends’ families may have grown tired of.
    4) Knowing that my homemade meals are much healthier than the boxed/processed stuff. – We’re eating a lot more fruits and veggies and far fewer chemicals/additives these days.
    5) Reminding myself that even with all this cooking I really have it easy. – My female ancestors had to build fires, pump and boil water, . . . They were strong, hard-working women. I will not shame them by being a whiny wimp.

• Joyfulmomof6 says:

Love point #5 Elle…so true! Even in the days before microwaves when women had to plan out their meals ahead of time.
      So many conveniences make it easier to be lazy, doesn’t it.

Rachel- I just love your honesty in sharing how things are hard for you. I makes me feel like I’m not so alone, and helps me to continue knowing it’s not really easy for anyone (love reading all these comments!)
      We are not doing no spend month, but I have committed to not going to yardsales or Goodwill (which I was doing out of boredom) until I have the whole house reorganized and have ruthlessly thrown out/donated lots of junk that we don’t need. I almost succumbed to going to Goodwill “just to look around” when I needed to bring in some donations on Friday, but instead I remembered that they have a donation drop off truck in one the shopping centers, so I went there instead of being tempted.
      I am also purging lots of homeschool things we don’t need anymore by selling them online at homeschoolclassifieds.com, and putting every penny I make into extra payments for a home equity loan we have.

I’ve got my 2 oldest teenage daughters in on my organizing spree (they are reading your blog, too, and getting encouraged!) and it’s really fun to be able to share it with them, since they are my “cohorts” in our usual trips to Goodwill. It keeps me accountable. I want them to learn good habits that we don’t need to just keep accumulating more things, even if they are free/inexpensive, even though they enjoy being thrifty already.
      Blessings,
      Nanci

21. Our No Spend Month has been easier so far this year than any other. I think it’s because we ‘cheated’ a bit – we saved an Applebee’s giftcard that my husband got in May, and we swapped babysitting with my cousin. So last Sunday night we had a perfectly free 4 hour date, and it was awesome. :) Just the perfect mid-month break that we needed!

Also, strawberries are on sale this week – hooray! That’ll help my grocery strictness boredom. We still have $120 left and only 10 more days, so I think we’ll be just fine. [Our NSM is running from June 26-July 26]
    Jessica @ Quirky Bookworm´s last post…The 10 Best Books I’ve Read So Far in 2012

22. It’s a no spend month for me every month, as I have only $100 left after I pay all my bills, and I have to save that $100 for my in-college daughter who needs it to pay her housing costs. I cannot get any loans to help her, as we are in foreclosure due to my lay-off a year ago. My husband still has his job, and he pays all the household costs and his car, I am doing my payoffs of car that is now with college girl. It is hard, but we find things to do that don’t cost. I sew, and recently made a quilt for daughter’s friend who just had a son. Sold something on Amazon, so there’s the postage! God takes care of us, we just have to ask and believe.

23. We usually do a no spend month in February (because it’s the shortest :)).
    Steph´s last post…Weekend Links

24. Christy says:

Thanks for this post today. I am not voluntarily doing a no-spend month. It is a necessity because we have five sons who are out of school, and they eat a lot! And my husband is a teacher, so he is here all the time, too. Food eats up the majority of our budget all the time. I am very grateful, however, for my parents who came in town a couple of weeks ago, and helped us load up on some food at Sam’s. I really don’t know what we would have done without their help. I will graduate from college in December (starting 22 years ago), and will hopefully find a great job. However, after staying home all these years with my kids, and learning frugality can be a way of life, I think I’ll always use budgets and coupons. I appreciate your blog! I wish I would have found it a long time ago, so I wouldn’t have felt alone for so long. Thanks.

25. It’s always the margins in my life that either allow feelings of calm and peace or slam me over the edge into negative emotions.
    You’re doing well and here’s an ATTAGIRL for managing your family’s lives so they, also, do well. Yes, it’s hard; yes, we get annoyed and yes, rants and raves make us feel better sometimes.
    I’m trying to figure out how to print coupons off the i-net and not having any success. It’s at times like this -24/7/365- I really, really miss Dave.
    Sandra at Thistle Cove Farm´s last post…Work, Work, Work…and rain…

26. I feel ya. I feel like my life has been low-emotional-margin since my hi-energy/no-sleep son was born almost two years ago.
    I bagged out on No Spend July on my blog after I got in a wreck in late June. Everyone was physically ok but both kids were in the car, I was super rattled for weeks by the accident (still am, kinda) and my car was totalled out. In that context, saving a few hundred dollars on groceries just didn’t seem particularly important anymore. And I didn’t have the energy even if it had seemed important.
    I see that lack of buffer in myself, too. It’s like, as long as everything goes fine, I’m fine. But the minute something isn’t fine…I’m not either. My patience is perpetually worn thin. And it’s for similar reasons to what you’ve mentioned here: feeling a lack of control, a lack of progress, and for me a seeming inability to get completion on anything.
    Anyway, a good post. Only 16 more days and then you can go get a haircut. :)
    Erica / Northwest Edible Life´s last post…The Personality of Perennials

27. Kudos to you for having the courage to do a no spend month. I haven’t quite gotten there yet. Maybe in February. . . Maybe.

I’ve been feeling your frustration with the whole have to prepare meals at home thing, but it’s based on my daughter’s allergies. Soy, dairy, and of course she’s now deathly allergic to peanuts too. The one thing that is saving my sanity right now is the bread maker. They are a huge help with controlling the ingredients and keeping the cost down. I can make a gluten free load for $1.05 (Canadian dollars–it’s probably cheaper in the US).

Keep up the good work, and know that there are a bunch of us out here cheering you on.

28. Lack of margin and cushion indeed. I feel that way now, toddler and three month old and no time to myself.

29. I am going thorugh a radom number of ‘no spend’ months but this one is a little harder than usual. Our last dog passed away from a tumor several years ago; she was 17 and lab’s get tumors, even the benign ones. We decided for the last several years not to have a dog; we still have 3 cats ages 22 and two who are brother and sister at 11.
    Then we went out to the store one evening when it was raining and there sat a dog in the rain looking lost. I told my husband if she was there when we came back through we would stop and investigate; I always keep dog and cat food in the car. She was there and the next day and the next. Rail thin we fed her again and I promised myself to call the dog catcher. I drove by just to check with some dry cat food in the car, relief swept over me that she wasn’t there and I had forgot my phone anyway. I went to the store to pick up onions of all things and I picked up a bag of dry dog food. Drove by again and she wasn’t there and the dog next door eats anything. On his way home from work, my husband stopped and left his car door open to check; he looked around and went back to the car where she sat in the back seat pretty as you please, waiting for a ride, home. I didn’t have to give the food to the neighbor but blew my budget on that little dog. So it’s just money and we can save paper anytime. She licks my hand, barks and plays with anything that moves. What a joy for her and what a joy for us. I still have most of the budget money left and she has a collar, leash and some toys and yes a check up visit with the vet. Her name? She answers to Sadie.

30. Love the honesty! Too often I feel like others have it all together, and I’m just struggling along. Always so good to know we’re not alone, we’re all human. Thank you.

31. carolyn says:

Every time you share your frustrations and annoyances, I’m grateful that you are brave enough to tell the world about it. Thank you for that.

Also, everyone makes mistakes. Don’t forget grace for yourself. I hope you bought proper onions. :-)

32. Thank you for your honesty. I would think you would be a pro at this too.
    I was asked to share in our sermon this morning about materialism. I would have said I was not materialistic – I’m thrifty, hello! – but I realized this week as I prepared my heart to share that materialism is about what I TRUST. I’m afraid I trust money more than God sometimes. So I humbly go forward again – it’s amazing what life has to teach us.
    Margo, Thrift at Home´s last post…Ice-Cold Lemonade

33. Stephanie says:

Thanks for posting this. I have been doing the No Spend Month. Been creative with stuff in the house to cook. Not going out is easy for us- tight budget with husband out of work, and my 2-year old will wreck havoc in a restaurant in 5 seconds.

I have been using your website to inspire my de-cluttering in the house and creative things to do around our house with what we have. You may feel frustrated right now but I want you to know that your writing has been an inspiration to this Mother in New Hampshire.

And by the way- I hate onions…

34. I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets annoyed and agitated during the no spend month. It’s tough. I think it’s a good workout for your sense of self control. When you’re in the thick of it, it’s tough, but when it’s over and you made, you feel accomplished. I’m thinking about doing the no spend month twice a year to get myself back on track. Thanks for all your inspiration!
    Mel@TheDizzyMom´s last post…Money: Making the Cuts

35. We’ve only been in our “Essential Only” month since last week (ours is July 10-Aug 9), so I haven’t hit that level of frustration…yet. I have planned our dinners for the next two weeks, so that is helping me both visualize our meals and clean out the pantry/freezer before I head to the store. We have about 20 pounds of venison in our freezer from a deer my husband killed in November – I have been putting off using it since I don’t have tons of venison recipes handy. But you can bet that I have found some new ones for this month!! Venison is on the menu 5 times in the next 14 days. :)

Thanks, as always, for the inspiration and honesty!
    Kristin´s last post…Feeling crafty…but it’s Essentials Only month!

36. Oh boy did this hit home. Most of the time, I like my simple life. Most of the time, I’m proud (and kind of smug) that I only read library books, we rarely eat out and I pretty much wear what I own. However, we’re going to a pretty fancy wedding this week, and I’m just dreading showing up in the same thing I always wear. I know no one cares, and I know it really isn’t worth the $$$, but it’s getting harder and harder to stay away from bluefly. Thanks for posting this, it takes away the sting if I know other frugal ladies are going through it too.

37. That is a huge accomplishment. The cost of gasoline alone eats the budget. This month we’re entertaining a lot…having out of town guests and doing things that we don’t normally do because of it. But, just having read your plans impacted my spending this month. And it made me realize that I really don’t want more stuff. Yes, we needed to purchase a few things for real needs…but they were few. When we lost our jobs the same day and it was 2.5 years before my husband was back in his field with real work we were forced into the no spend activity. It is wearisome and I so understand your frustration. I guess that’s where the real growth takes place. Hope you discover unexpected blessings and new joy along the way this week. Thanks for charting the course.
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day´s last post…Joy Day! | In the Dark of Night {Protected}

38. Just offering my sympathies. I haven’t tackled a No Spend Month yet, but my daughter has life-threatening allergies that keep us from visiting restaurants very often. (Funny – when she was younger, I think she thought “Chipotle” and “restaurant” were synonymous since we hardly ever went anywhere else!) Most of the time I try to be positive and remind myself that we are saving money, raising our children with better eating habits, and eating healthier ourselves by simply cooking from scratch. HOWEVER, there are lots of days where I’d love to bail out on cooking dinner and can’t help feeling a touch of self-pity like, “Grrr! What I wouldn’t give to just get some take-out right now!” I read the “Dinner, A Love Story” website, and I couldn’t agree more that it is a labor of love. Even for people like myself who supposedly love cooking, though, feeding a family is just such a constant, never-ending job that you can’t help wishing for a break from it now and then.

39. Just popping back in to say that (a) I hope you’re feeling less frustrated this week! and (b) in my quest for cheap fun things to do I spent $1.80 on felt today, and I’m about to make a tiny town like the one you did! Here’s hoping it’s good for hours of entertainment.

Thanks again for the No Spend Month idea…I think it’s really good for us.

40. I have fallen off the wagon a few times this month But like dieting I just start over the next day. I think my errs have been small. Although I have been tempted it’s still nice to not buy anything but food.
    Thanks for inspiring me to do this.
    Beth´s last post…A Crochet Rescue

41. Monique says:

I’m so glad to know I’m not the only person who fixes soup in the summer. We live in Florida, and I made potato soup for dinner tonight. Like yours, the leftovers will feed us lunch for the rest of the week.

42. Sorta doing a no-spend month, except I haven’t really put a “budget” on it. I would also like to reign in the amount we spend on groceries a little bit, or at least be more intentional. It’s just hard for me to even put a budget on food, especially good food. We buy quite a bit in bulk and sometimes it is difficult to figure what to allow.

Eating out isn’t much of a culprit for us, grocery store yes. Nearest restaurant is 10 miles away. I have been a little “miffed” on meals lately. Last month we went on vacation and I took freezer meals with us (MSG sensitivity). Not cooking that week has spoiled me. I guess I need to spend a day putting some meals, or at least cooked meat, in the freezer to help with those days. Another thing is gasoline. Living way out where we are, it bites. Trip to our small rural town and back will run me a gallon of gas. To the city probably around 4 gallons of gas. I’m wanting to go and get out, but holding back on that.

I’ll be doing this again next month, as school starts in early August and there will be quite a bit of expense with that (4 kids, two of which will require a $70 each laptop insurance). Another kid decided to play football, so there will be shoes and such to buy.

43. Thanks so much for telling it like it is, Rachel. I was thinking about you and how this No Spend month was going. You are half way there. I bet you could do this all 12 months. You are so disciplined.

I didn’t do No Spend Month this time but I did cut WAY back on my spending. I am about one fourth of what I would have spent for half way point. I am so excited. Don’t know if I was channeling you or if the heat kept me inside. Thanks for the inspiration either way.
    Donna´s last post…Umbrella Quilt Top Is Finished… Yay!!